Sunday, December 1, 2013

Mizuno Wave Inspire 10

For the last year, I have been totally in love with the Wave Inspire 9's. 

I got fitted at Pacer's in Alexandria, VA, meaning they filmed me running on a treadmill and then we watched it in slooooow motion to identify if I needed a neutral shoe or one with more stability. 

It turns out that I am a moderate pronator, so I tried on some shoes for this and found the Wave Inspire 9's to be the most comfortable. They are very very light (especially in comparison to the Brooks). Also, they seem to come up higher in the back- over the heel and ankle bone so they don't give me the sensation of falling off in the back. The toe box seems roomier than some other shoes as well. 

Too make a long story short, they performed well in the slo-mo treadmill test and became my shoe of choice.

Enter the Wave Inspire 10. First, the color selection in the 9's dwindled to one color, then they all but disappeared in my size and the 10's appeared. 

And I'm torn . . . on the fence. 

The New Wave Inspire 10


Pros: They are even lighter than the 9's. They come in a grey color that clashes less with various running outfits - though I'm always jealous of men's colors (like black and Chinese red). They seem to have slightly more stability combined with a wider base. In the past, when I have had too much stability I have sometimes turned my ankle from over correction. With these shoes, the wide base makes me feel protected from that. 

Wider based 10 on the right


I wore one 9 and one 10 and walked around and felt like I walked straighter on the 10. Which brings me to the 

Cons: There is really only one but it is giving me pause. As soon as I put them on, I noticed that they felt HARD inside. I was reminded of walking on pavement, whereas the 9's felt cushy. This is a little hard on the ball of my big toe which is slightly sore right now - probably from running on worn out 9's and hitting the floor hard in Yoga class. But I am hoping, the stability correction will help and with less pressure on this area, it will heal quickly.

Currently, after 3 runs with the 10's and walking around with one of each, I am going to give the 10's a chance (instead of desperately trying to stock up on 9's) because the increased stability seems good for me.

Left foot: 9 Right Foot 10

No comments:

Post a Comment