Thursday, December 26, 2013

Running Motivation (and a little about disordered eating)

Let's talk about motivation. Sometimes I don't actually feel like running, and sometimes I feel like running - in my head- but physically I feel sluggish and am not sure how I will actually make the number of miles on my plan.
Here's one way I motivate myself:
I tell myself, "you only HAVE to run 4 measly little miles today- 40 minutes or less. Then you're done."

Then, I get out there and run- and you know what? I rarely ever end up running 4 miles. At mile 1 I'm usually still dragging a bit, "only 3 miles to go."
Mile 1.5, "almost half done!"
 Mile 2 comes and I am already half done with my run!!!
ThenI hit mile 3 and my legs finally loosen up, I feel warm and find that I have shaved at least half a minute off of my pace. Now there's only ONE mile left. But  one mile is nothing! And before I know it, I look down at my GPS and there is LESS than a mile to go . . . But I don't want to stop! I feel great. I'm moving fast, I'm flying. I'm up for 5 miles now!
Mile 5 comes and I realize I could do one more . . .

That's how I managed to do 7 miles on Christmas Day! (TOTALLY worth it with Christmas dinner right after) I ate so well :). And then today, I managed 6.3 miles after promising myself 4, before starting the trip to my parents house for Christmas, round two.

Speaking of food, here is another way I motivate myself:
I have had a lot of trouble with food in my life, eating too much or too little, yoyoing in weight.
When I wanted to get pregnant, I spent a year "getting healthy" and got to a healthy weight. I used "My Fitness Pal" daily before my pregnancy, during, and now, when I am running so much. 
I use it as an iPhone app but it works on the computer too. It keeps track of, not only my calories, but all my nutrients- protein, carbs, etc. and gives me more calories to use when I run.
Here is an example, the Christmas Feast:
I have my basal metabolic rate on the top right, plus my exercise calories in the middle, and my total. I allow myself extra calories for Breastfeeding as well so I am in the red. 

Some might say, "why are you doing this? You're skinny! You don't need to diet!"

Well, I'm not dieting, I am controlling my eating and also making sure I eat enough because I struggle with disordered eating and can't seem to manage things naturally, without a plan. And I hope that my admitting this and sharing my strategies will help someone else.

Anyway, back to motivation:
I plan what to eat for the day and I add 4 miles of running - what I HAVE to do. Then, during my run I often think, if I do those extra miles, I could eat even more!!!
Forget messing with those miserable 100 calorie snack packs, I could have something good! Maybe iiiiice cream :).another good motivation. Running, is the most efficient calorie burning exercise I know of for ease of use and time spent.

One more note on nutrition, which I'm sure I'll talk about more later. I don't actually eat a lot of junk or just eat ice cream. I enjoy Greek yogurt, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, chia seeds, banana and spinach smoothies, fruit, veggies, and cottage cheese as major staples in my diet. Yum!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!
Merry Christmas from me, my daughter Ember, my husband, Bill, and my stepdaughter Sarah!

No comments:

Post a Comment