Sunday, December 22, 2013

20.2 miles!

Today I did my longest run ever! 20.2 glorious miles and I loved every minute of it.
First, let me explain my "training" philosophy. I have trained for a marathon before so I am familiar with training schedules - but I got pregnant after getting to the 14 mile point and never finished training.

Up until last week I was just doing long runs for fun and to see how far my body could take me. But then when I hit 18 miles last week I decided to sign up for a spring marathon. I am now signed up for Rock and Roll DC. Chosen because it is close to home.

Anyway, I am mostly going with "what does my body WANT to do and feel GOOD doing." But I am using a couple training plans for reference. Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 is kind of my minimum goal ( I am just starting week 9) and Ultraladies 50K training plan is my maximum. Today, for example, I needed at least 15 miles and I felt great so I went for 20.

So, run recap:
I started out at Belle Haven Marina at 7 am. Wearing a tank top, I might add. December 22 and almost 70 degrees already! I also had on my amphipod hydration belt - my first run with it since I didn't have the stroller to carry my water.
Getting ready to start my run.

I ran about 0.2 miles from my car when I decided that 4 water bottles on my belt was too heavy, so I ran back to the car and left two there.

Also weighing heavy on my mind was the weather report on the way down of a "band of gusty showers and thunderstorms" that was due to hit in 45 minutes. I debated going to the gym and hitting the dreadmill but I had so looked forward to this adventure that I decided to chance it. Though I did regret not bringing a ziplock for my phone or putting it in its Lifeproof case.

Fortunately, 0.7 miles down the trail, I saw a clear plastic bag and wrapped up my phone. Now I was ready for the weather!

3 miles in, I was running along the water in Old Town Alexandria and stopped to take a picture of the sunrise.
I felt so happy to be alive and able to run!

At mile 5 I took my first PowerGel. I have experimented with different fueling methods including prunes, raisins, sweet potato purée, and honey, as well as different gels and have liked Powerbar PowerGel, with 8-12oz of water every 5 miles, best for its consistency, convenience, and how it makes me feel. (I also eat a tablespoon of Chia seeds in my oatmeal before a run).

I ran north along the Mount Vernon trail until I passed Dangerfield Island at 8:30. I knew some girls from my running group "Mom's Run This Town" were meeting there at 9:00 to run and I wanted to stop and say hi. So I kept running north for 15 minutes so I could turn around and get back by 9:00. I passed Regan National Airport and turned around.
At 9:00 - mile 11, I was back at Dangerfield Island and stopped at the bathroom, took another gel and stopped to say hi to the girls from my group. Then I continued south.

I was back in Old Town about mile 14 and feeling great. Visions of running 21 or 22 miles or heck, a whole marathon, were racing through my head as my pace picked up from a 9:30 mile to 9:15. 

At mile 15.8 the rain hit and hit HARD - i could barely see at firstI was about 0.7 miles from the bathroom and 1 mile from my car. I stopped in the bathroom to take my last gel and check my phone. The plastic wasn't helping much in that downpour. I took it out of its case and dried it- it seemed okay.  Then I called my husband in case he was wondering how I was doing and to let him know I had about 4 miles left and was doing fine in the rain. I wrapped my phone in toilet paper and the plastic again, stuffed it in my bra, and ran the 0.3 miles to my car to drop it off.

At the car, I also took off my Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS watch, dried it, and covered it with a plastic wrapper I had in my car, since it was not waterproof. Then I continued south on the trail for 2 miles out and 2 miles back to complete 20 miles.

I'm glad I ran in the rain. I hadn't run in a soaking rain before and didn't know how I would do. Would I get blisters with wet feet? Would I be too uncomfortable? Turns out, I was fine and it was actually refreshing! Now I'm not afraid to run in the rain again.

Side note: I looked up "proper care for wet running shoes" and learned I should take out the insoles and let them air dry away from direct heat such as a radiator which can dry out the materials in the shoe.

Back to the run. At mile 18 (my previous longest run - completed last week and inspiring me to sign up for a marathon- I turned around and headed back to Belle Haven and my car. I was still feeling good. Nothing was hurting but I was finally starting to feel like stopping at 20 whereas before, I wanted to KEEP GOING!

At mile 19.5 my body started to talk to me - just a little. No pain, just . . . hard to describe  . . . I was starting to feel the pounding.

At mile 19.9 the feeling was gone as another wave of "runner's high" hit and propelled me to run just a little past the Marina and finish 20.2 miles "so I could say I only had 6 more miles to complete a marathon."

Why did I stop? Well, I told my husband and toddler that I would be back by 10:30 and it was 10:25. Also, even though my body said Go! Go! Go! I didn't want to push it and up my mileage too quickly. I have never done 20 miles and don't know how I'll feel tomorrow.

I got in my car, drove home, and snuck upstairs before my toddler saw me to change into some dry clothes. Then, I had half of a large sweet potato, and some Talenti Eggnog Gelato mixed 2:1 with plain Greek yogurt. Yummy! Before cuddling with my little girl for a nap.

A perfect ending to one of the best mornings of my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment