Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Oh My Aching Quads!

Well, they aren't really that bad. I can just feel them ( and my calves) when I go up or down stairs - and first thing in the morning. The second day is a little worse as usual. But not bad, really. 

Lets just say, though, I am glad common sense took over and I stopped running at twenty . . . point two. . .miles as planned. That runner's high hit me at the end and I could have gone on and on . . .

Conventional wisdom states to only up your mileage by 10% a week. Others refute that. There are article for and against right now. However, all do agree that recovery is important. That is why I am taking a rest day today. 

Here is my training plan:
This is the Ultrawomen's 50K plan. "Why this plan?" You ask. "Aren't you running a Marathon?"
Well, this plan just looked like more fun :). I like long runs. 
Also, I am really easygoing about "plans" and may or may not follow it all the way. Maybe I will only go to 22 miles and stay there, maybe I will lower the midweek or post long run mileage. Who knows? I believe in listening to my body and doing what is fun and works for me.

I am also referencing Hal Higdon's intermediate 1 plan so I have a minimum goal.
It just looked more fun than the beginner plan.

Anyway, I really like the 50K training plan because it allows awesome long runs but gives an easy week in between for recovery of muscles. Sounds like a good idea to me!

Also, I am planning on running the Marine Corps Marathon this fall, but I have to get in first. It is a lottery this year. I can run the Marine Corps 17.75 K this spring and get guaranteed entry BUT I have to get through on the computer to register without it freezing up. Registration historically fills up fast and I bet this year will be super popular- what with the lottery and all. 

So, I have a plan B. If I don't get into marine Corps, I will run the New River Trail 50K in October. It has great reviews and a reputation for being well organized.  It sounds great, and if I don't run it this year because I got into Marine Corps, I probably will next year. 

Happy Running and Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment