Friday, November 22, 2013

Fartlek! (You Know You Want To)

Here's the text I sent my friend and running partner last night:

Fartlek means speed play in Swedish and aside from being probably the funniest word in the running lexicon, it's also pretty fun. Unlike regimented interval training which is usually done on a track, Fartlek is traditionally done on the trail. And instead of running through a specific, regimented set of drills (5x200m sprints etc), you set your own pace, frequency, and distance based on how you feel. 

So, you run a beautiful trail, deciding all willy-nilly when to jog and when to fly. How utterly free spirit and bohemian! I love the concept.

However, upon attempting it, once with my friend and once by myself, it turns out that I do better with a regimented plan: do THIS for x number of seconds then do THIS for x number of seconds. The self discipline just doesn't seem to be there to spontaneously say, "THAT was fun gasping for air- now I'll spontaneously volunteer to do it again!"

So, for now, I am sticking with my speed drills of 7:30 min/mile for 60 seconds then 10 min/mile for 90 seconds, for 30 minutes, 3 x a week. When the timer says too, I HAVE to do it.

Yet, the free spirited dream of Fartlek, frolicking and playing as I run along the trail, lingers in the back of my mind, and I will surely attempt it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment