Thursday, February 6, 2014

Afraid to run?!?

After months of pain free running, my knee suddenly started to act up. I think it started after a particularly strenuous treadmill run in which I did 22 miles at an 8:50 average pace, my normal long run pace being about 9:30. 10 of the miles were at an 8:30 pace.

Just after completing this run, I read in Runners World that doing speed work on the treadmill can cause you I over stride, trying to keep up with the belt.
Now, I have never had problems before, but this was a very long run and . . .

The next day the back of my leg hurt at the knee, as though I had hyperextended it. Fortunately that went away with 2 rest days, Sunday and Monday. I ran Tuesday (7 miles), Wednesday and Thursday (8.5 and 9.5 miles). I noticed a little soreness on Friday on the inside of my left kneecap. Then took a rest day Friday.

Saturday I ran 13 miles and was fine until Mile 11, then started to feel my knee. It was better in the morning though, and I did my planned 10 miler with some soreness at mile 9.5. This soreness, though mild, continued into the next day. 
I took Monday off and then felt fine Tuesday so I did a tentative 3 miles. So far so good. I took Wednesday off, planning to try for 8 on Thursday. 

Which brings me to today (Thursday). After taking extra rest days and worrying about my knees, I found myself afraid to do this run. I tend to push down my emotions sometimes, but honestly, this week I have been constantly stressed that my knee would keep me from running. 
I finally got out there though. 8 miles at a little under 10 minute pace and . . . So far so good! I think the rest days really helped! 

And tomorrow I am going to Valen's Physical Therapy in Old Town Alexandria to do their running assessment. 2 hours one on one to analyse and advise me, so I can decrease my risk for injury and be the best runner I can be! I'm excited!
Review to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment