Friday, February 7, 2014

Running Assessment

Today I went to Valens Physical Therapy in Old Town Alexandria and got a runners assessment. I learned a lot and really enjoyed it. Here's what happened:

I filled out a one page form asking about my running history/training etc. Then, MacKensie, the physical therapist, asked me some more questions. 
She checked my alignment, muscle strength, and generally assessed how my body moved and functioned in an exam room. 
Almost everything looked really good except my SI joint was a little out of alignment on one side. (This is the Sacro-Illiac joint or hip/pelvis). She explained this using a skeleton.
Generally, though, she said she could align my joint and then give me some strength exercises to stabilize and strengthen. She didn't see any major problems or think anything threatened my distances. 

She told me I was built like a runner like quote "born to run." Now I really liked her :).

The I got on the Treadmill and she videotaped and watched me walk with shoes off and on. Then she did the same while I ran, first with my beloved Mizuno Wave Inspire 9's, then with the new shoe I am considering now that the "9"s are discontinued- the Saucony Guide 7.

It turns out that my foot looks more stable in the Guide and when I ran in the two shoes, one after another, I could feel it too. So, Mackenzie recommended running in the Guide. Now I have 2 extra pairs of new Wave Inspire 9's to sell (size 9). :)

MacKenzie said my arm swing looked great. My gait did as well, in most ways. I naturally have a midfoot strike which is apparently good and puts less strain on the knees etc. 
We looked at all the different parts of my gait and my left leg looked great. On my right side, my knee tended to swing inward toward the midline. Apparently related to my imbalanced SI joint. This was mild and correctable.

In general, this part was pretty cool, watching myself run in slow motion :) I made sure to wear shorts that I found flattering because I knew this would be happening.

Then, MacKenzie aligned my SI joint- this part reminded me of being at the Chiropractor. She said the misalignment made one leg function as longer than the other. She also said that Mount Vernon Trail runners often have this problem because of the unevenness and banking of the trail.

Then, I worked with Andre. He showed me specific foam rolling points that Mackenzie wanted me to concentrate on. They explained to me that as an endurance athlete, my muscles could have the tendency to stay tight and this would help keep everything aligned as well as recover and heal my muscles. 

Then Andre took me through all the exercises MacKenzie wanted me to do:
Opposite arm/leg lifts for SIJ stability,
Bridge with Ball Squeezed between legs for stability as well, Side lying Hip ABduction for strong running, Squatting Retro Monster Walks with band at Knees for hip strength, Clamshells for hip strength, single leg squats for movement retraining (to keep my knee from swinging inward), Squatting sidestep with band at knees for movement retraining and hip strength, and Stationary side lunge for movement retraining.

All exercises were prescribed with number of reps and times per week. Currently with the Marathon so soon, it was recommended that I go a little easier and just do them 2x a week (once after my shortest run, and once on a recovery/rest day). 

It was also explained that women often have weak hips/glutes and compensate with their quads. I was told that my hips needed to be a main strength focus for me.

I also got to do the full workout. So each exercise was done with coaching for the entire number of reps and sets prescribed! The whole assessment and workout was 2.5 hours.

After the workout, MacKenzie checked my SI joint and it was still aligned. I asked her if this was everything: so this is the comprehensive "what I need to do" to run the best I can? And she said yes. 
She is also going to write up an even more detailed summary and email it too me. If I learn more or got anything wrong, I will post it!

This was a great experience and I highly recommend it! While these exercises are good for any runner, getting a personal assessment will tailor exactly what YOU need. 

Let me know if you have any questions!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment