Saturday, January 11, 2014

22 Miles in the Rain

Last week it was ice. This week it was rain. Once again I had a great run set up with friends and I thought the weather would squash my plans.

BUT! When I asked my friends from my running group, they all still wanted to come! 6 people willing to join me at 5:30 in the rain! And one at 6:45 to run 10 more miles with me! 22 miles in all and I only had to do the last 4.5 miles by myself!

I love Mom's Run This Town! What a great running group! If you are interested, chances are there is a chapter near you! Find out at Momsrunthistown.com.

I'm not going into a mile by mile recap today. Lets just talk about some differences from previous runs:
Today, I took my Powergel every 5 miles as usual but felt a little wonky (tired and hungry) at mile 18.5. So I took my last gel early and felt better. I kept thinking of a friend who told me that in the Marine Corps Marathon there were big chocolate chip cookies at Mile 20. I was seriously craving one :)!
Other than that, after doing 20 miles twice, 22 didn't seem much harder and I'm feeling good now!
I got a chance to wear my Knuckle Lights for the first time and I love them!
They provide a steady bright stream of light that seriously illuminates the trail and they are very comfortable to wear, even for me and I do not like carrying anything when I run. In fact, they were so comfortable that when it got light out I didn't bother to take them off or run them to my car when I passed by it!
They are also safe to use in the rain.

Thanks to my friends and knuckle lights, I could safely start at 5:30 and be done before 9:30. Then home to my family and some Talenti Tahitian Vanilla Gelato!

No comments:

Post a Comment